Portrait Of A Lady On Fire (2019), a gorgeous French romance directed by a beautiful woman (Céline Sciamma) and starring two beautiful actresses, Adèle Haenel and Noémie Merlant. How a film of this high an order gets snubbed by the Oscars is beyond me. Not one woman getting nominated in the best director category is also more than just baffling. Representation does not just mean one Greta Gerwig and one Kathryn Bigelow. Quite a good reason to believe how biased bourgeois mainstream award shows are, even if they carry the esteemed label of being called 'The Oscars'.
My Top 9 French Films of 2019! Of the 369 films I saw in the cinema last year, these are my favorite films in French (at least one is Belgian), ranked. Have you seen any of them?
9. Intime Conviction / Conviction: Imagine Gone Girl as a true crime episode and you have Conviction.
8. Papicha: The future is feminine, even if the theocracy doesn't know it yet.
7. La Lutte des Classes: Class Struggle is now over, and the winners are anyone who goes to see this film.
6. Portrait de la Jeune Fille en Feu / Portrait of a Lady on Fire: Like a painting with a modest subject, the image is 2-dimensional but the emotion that lies beneath runs deep.
5. Duelles / Mother's Instinct: Set in the 60s, feels like 80s, and styled like the 2010s, Mother's Instinct is a film that counts.
4. Les Drapeaux de Papier: An overlong love letter that says nothing new but says it extremely well exchanged between brother and sister.
3. Météorites / Meteorites: A coming of age tale where first-time actress Zéa Duprez explodes onto the subtle script like a comet hitting the silver screen.
2. Sympathie pour le diable / Sympathy for the Devil: A realistic rendering of the political and physical battles in Yugoslavia, and a fitting (if glorified) tribute to a man who deserves to be glorified.
1. Invisibles: There is emotion that will choke you up and humour that will make you laugh out loud, and often both extremes in the space of 5 minutes.
Have you seen any of these? Which one was your favorite? 🇫🇷 #french#frenchfilm#frenchcinema#lesinvisibles#sympathiepourlediable#meteorites#lesdrapeauxdepapier#duelles#papicha#portraitdelajeunefilleenfeu#laluttedesclasses#uneintimeconviction
"Don't be devils! Don't spoil your friend's interest in seeing the film. Don't tell them what you've seen. Thank you - for their sake."
A classic French film from 1955, the favorite movie of the author of Psycho and part of Hitchcock's inspiration for making the film after Clouzot secured the rights preventing Hitchcock from making it.
After mistreating his wife and mistress, the two women team up to kill the man responsible. It all seems like the perfect plan until the body goes missing and signs start appearing that he may not in fact even be dead... The story plays out a bit like an episode of Twilight Zone or Tales From the Crypt, you're never quite sure what's really going on, whether he's still alive or someone else is messing with them, or if it's all just in the women's heads? A good watch though the concept isn't the most original by today's standards, but keep in mind that it was pretty groundbreaking in '55. #lesdiaboliques#thedevils#horror#horrorcollector#dvdcollector#movies#moviecollector#dvd#horrormovies#50smovies#50shorror#frenchcinema#frenchmovie#umbrellaentertainment#frenchhorror#henrigeorgesclouzot
Screening on Jan 19, 2020 at 5 pm at Alliance Francaise of Madras
Un Amour Impossible/2018/Dir.: Catherine Corsini/135 min
In the late 1950s in Châteauroux, France, Rachel, a modest office worker, meets Philippe, a brilliant young man born to a bourgeois family. This brief but passionate connection results in the birth of a daughter, Chantal. Philippe refuses to marry outside of his social class and Rachel has to raise their daughter alone. Regardless, Chantal is a great source of happiness for Rachel. She wishes for Philippe to legally acknowledge his daughter, which would give her his last name. A battle of more than ten years ensues, which will eventually break up all of their lives.
ユニフランスと札幌アリアンス・フランセーズのコラボ企画として、「フル視聴パック」（有料の長編映画8本を全て視聴できるパックです）をプレゼント。ご希望の方は、2月1日のカフェ・デ・ザミ « スペシャル・シャンドラー »にご参加ください 🥞。当日抽選会を行い、1名様にフル視聴パックを差し上げます。
🎬 Nouvelle édition de MyFrenchFilmFestival.com (https://www.myfrenchfilmfestival.com/fr/) d'UniFrance du 16 janvier au 16 février 2020 : un festival qui réunit une sélection de 8 longs-métrages et de 15 courts-métrages sous-titrés en japonais.
🎁 JEU CONCOURS : @uniFrance et l'Alliance Française Sapporo vous donnent la chance de gagner un pack long-métrage. Pour participer : inscrivez-vous à l'événement 🥞 Café des amis spécial Chandeleur 🥞 du 1er février et participez au tirage au sort !
Plus d’informations sur le festival sur le site internet : https://www.myfrenchfilmfestival.com/fr/presentation.