Someone very dear is nearing the end of their time on earth. This picture reminds me that they will soon be in the comfort of their Father and feel his love just like we feel this warm soft sunshine. ————————————————————.
Featured Artist: @leslie_restivo ————————————————————.
Tag @discover_carolinas or use to be featured. Please visit the page of our featured artist for more incredible pictures.
Don't forget to follow:➡ @southcarolina.c.smeltzer 😎
✅ 😍 *
🌸 Tag & Share with your Friends⤵
Cheraw, South Carolina has been nicknamed “The Prettiest Town in Dixie.” Settled in the early 1700s along the Pee Dee River, the town was one of only six places in South Carolina that appeared on English maps at the time. Many of the early settlers of Cheraw were English, Scots, French Huguenots, or Scots-Irish, though the land had long been occupied by the Cheraw and Pee Dee American Indian Tribes.
After years of prosperity, the Civil War brought economic hardship to Cheraw, but much of town’s original charm and pre-1865 historic homes have been preserved. By the early 1900s, prosperity returned to Cheraw with industrial growth and tourism. Many of the beautiful homes you’ll see on the tree-lined streets were built in the early 1900s such as the Matheson-McBride-Hook-Moore House shown here designed in a Classical Revival Style. #southernreverie
The home at 143 McIver Street in Cheraw, South Carolina was built in 1790. It is sometimes called the Sherman House because it served as General William T. Sherman’s personal headquarters in 1865 during his Campaign of the Carolinas. General Sherman and his Union troops were in Cheraw for several days. No private dwellings or buildings were directly destroyed by Sherman and his troops. One Union solider described Cheraw as “a pleasant town and an old one with the Southern aristocratic bearing.”
The home was built by Eramus Powe, Brigadier General in the War of 1812, as a wedding present for his daughter Elizabeth. During the Civil War it was owned by General Powe’s granddaughter and her husband Henry McIver, Chief Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court. McIver moved his law office from Third Street and attached it as a wing to the house. The home is now privately owned. #southernreverie