It’s Cheese Lovers Day, people! What a brilliant excuse to sit back and dig into some delicious, tangy vegan cheese! Why not treat yourself to some this evening? Sprinkle it onto pesto pasta, layer it in a sandwich, or make your own pesto with it. We’re spoiled for options, so… we may just have to try them all! 🧀😉
NEW RECIPE!! Root Vegetable Soupy Stew
So this is an adapted recipe from @the_bojon_gourmet . I came a cross the recipe today when I was looking for chickpea recipes as originally I was going to make chickpea and cauliflower wraps.
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil.
- 3 large garlic cloves finely chopped.
- 2 medium carrots, sliced and diced.
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 (roughly) a butternut squash cubed.
- 4 medium white potatoes, skinned and cubed.
- 2 tins of chickpeas, drained.
- Dried thyme.
- fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons of stock in 1.5L of water.
- A cup of brown short grain rice or grain per person eating (can use pasta!)
- Oil for serving.
The Bojon Gourmet recipe has a golden beetroot in with the veggies, but we did not have one today so it didn’t go in! It also calls for olive oil instead of rapeseed oil, but we used rapeseed oil instead and we omitted the jar of whole peeled tomatoes.
The original recipe also has a delicious lemon parsley olive oil, however we don’t have any parsley so we are squeezing some lemon onto the soup when we eat it.
- Chop the onion and garlic and add to the pan with rapeseed oil, cook until translucent. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the celery and carrot and cook until starting to get soft.
- Potatoes and butternut squash are next (you could add other root vegetables at this point IF you have them to hand or they need using up).
- Add the stock and chickpeas plus more salt and pepper if needed.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer to cook the root vegetables.
- Whilst the soup is cooking, cook the short grain brown rice in twice as much cold water as rice (one cup of dry rice with 2 cups of water) plus 1/2 teaspoon of salt per 1 cup of rice. Bring to the boil. It takes between 40 - 50 minutes.
- When the rice and soup are done, add the rice to the bottom of the bowl and ladle over the soup.
- You can top with parmesan…..and serve with crusty bread.
1 620 January, 2020
Donosti egun zoriontsua izan dezazuela!
G o r a D o n o s t i a 🥁
New sushi/ Asian restaurant in Malta - Azuma Sushi Bistro 🍱 Got a few of my favs with eel, white tuna, & shrimp nigiri and they were all tasty. Sake was favorably priced and the menu is pretty expansive.
My true craving was chicken katsu, fried perfectly but was missing the signature katsu sauce. Instead they opted for a mustard-based bbq sauce, which wasn’t bad. ⏩ Swipe through to see!
With such a large menu, they have numerous veggie options. They also cater to a pan-Asian approach with numerous Thai, Japanese, and Americanized Chinese fare (General Tso’s, Mongolian Beef, etc). The restaurant is larger than I expected with a bar and a sushi bar. They also have hibachi. With so little in terms non-American food options in the area, Azuma is a much welcomed edition to the Malta food scene.
Let me know if you’ve been to Azuma and what you thought. What is your favorite local sushi spot?
Dinner after work and I’m glad to enjoy my favourite Dan Dan noodle from Paradise Dynasty. Springy noodles in a delicious, hot peanutty sauce that is spicy without being overly so. Plus some accompanying Xiao Long bao, juicy and plump under their thin skins and other dishes ~ there’s so much to love!🥰💕
Cheung Fun, meaning rice noodle roll, is a Cantonese dish commonly served as a snack, small meal or a variety of dim sum. It's generally filled with shrimp, beef, veggies or other ingredients & then seasoned with soy sauce.
We tried it for the first time at the newly-opened @hotelshanghigh when we ordered their 𝑪𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒑𝒚 𝑪𝒉𝒆𝒖𝒏𝒈 𝑭𝒖𝒏 𝒇𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝑷𝒓𝒂𝒘𝒏 & 𝑪𝒉𝒊𝒗𝒆 & guess what's our favourite dim sum dish now!
Oh & while you're there, you must most definitely dig into the sinfully delicious 𝑾𝒉𝒊𝒔𝒌𝒆𝒚-𝒕𝒐𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝑴𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒏 𝑪𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒌𝒆𝒏 𝑺𝒌𝒆𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒔 served on a hot grill. The chicken is juicy & bursting with flavours.